Getting away from it all should be fun and relaxing. But if you’re worrying about your home security during your vacation, you might not feel as chilled out as you should. Here are some useful tips to help you keep your home safe and secure while you’re away, so you can truly relax and enjoy the break you deserve.
1. Make it look like someone’s home
An empty house is a vulnerable house and an open invitation to burglars. To make your house look occupied, it’s a good idea to:
- Stop the newspaper and mail or ask a neighbor to pick them up so they don’t accumulate on your doorstep
- Park your car in the garage and ask a neighbor to park in your driveway occasionally so there’s activity at your house
- Use a timer to randomly turn lights on and off in the house
- For added home vacation security, install a motion-activated sensor or an outdoor floodlight
- Make sure your lawn and garden stay trimmed and tidy while you’re away
2. Prepare your home for your absence
No matter how long you’re away, whether it’s a few days or a few weeks, there are some smart steps that you can take to make sure your home stays clean, comfortable and in good working order while it’s unoccupied.
- Call your Lennox Dealer and schedule a maintenance visit before you leave to ensure your HVAC equipment works at peak efficiency while you’re on vacation
- Turn up the thermostat to about 85 degrees. Doing so will protect your plants, furniture and other belongings without running up your energy bill
- Reduce unnecessary energy usage by unplugging all non-essential electronics before you leave
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly
- Dispose of any food that could go bad before you return from vacation and remember to take out the trash
- Reduce the risk of a major water leak by turning off water valves to the dishwasher, washing machine and all sinks
3. Use smart-home devices for even greater control and security
Smart lights, security systems and thermostats let you stay in control of your home environment, even when you’re relaxing on the beach. The Lennox iComfort® S30 ultra-smart thermostat, for example, has a Smart Away Mode that uses the GPS in your smartphone to detect when you’re leaving and automatically adjusts to a more efficient energy setting. Then, when you’re on your way home, Smart Away returns the system to its normal schedule, so your home feels perfectly comfortable by the time you set foot inside the door.
4. Tell the people who need to know—and not the ones who don’t
No matter how thorough your home vacation preparations have been, things can still go wrong while you’re away. In the event of a problem arising, make it easy for those who are taking care of your home to make contact with you.
- Notify your credit card company and home security company that you’ll be out of town
- Ensure that whoever is watching your house has all of your emergency contact information, especially HVAC dealers or other servicemen in case any issues arise while you’re away
- If your pets are in a kennel or in the care of a pet sitter, make sure they also have your contact information
- And finally, don’t post your vacation dates or plans on social media
Remember to talk to your local Lennox Dealer about an HVAC maintenance visit before you leave. And, you may also want to ask them if they have any additional smart heating and cooling tips before a vacation. Bon voyage and travel safe!